Highway Safety Products
The Smart Cushion crash attenuator is a revolutionary, speed-dependent product that varies stopping resistance during an impact. The Smart Cushion crash attenuator allows lighter and slower-moving vehicles to have longer ridedown distances and lower ridedown G forces.
Unlike ﬁxed-resistance attenuators, the Smart Cushion attenuator does not reach maximum stopping resistance unless a vehicle is traveling at the maximum design speed. This fully redirective, non-gating, bi-directional, impact attenuator was designed for maximum safety and reusability, as well as outstanding durability before, during and after an impact.
The Smart Cushion is the only attenuator with a reverse-tapered design to eliminate side panel stress during a collapse. It also has an extremely low angle of exit on side impacts (<1°) to keep vehicles from rebounding back into trafﬁc and causing secondary accidents. This is the lowest angle of exit for any redirective attenuator on the market.
- Variable force (speed-dependent), not ﬁxed force, provides consistent deceleration during ridedown.
- Longer ridedown distances and lower sustained G forces for lighter or slower-moving vehicles.
- Low angle of exit on side impacts (
- Quick and easy resetting for reduced worker exposure to trafﬁc.
- Reduced out-of-service time to maximize highway safety.
- Minimal replacement parts requirement reduces spare parts inventory and parts costs.
- Quick, easy resetting reduces labor and trafﬁc control costs.
- The new, reverse-tapered design eliminates side panel stress on frontal impacts to reduce damage and system fatigue from multiple impacts.
- Low life cycle cost beneﬁts increase dramatically as impacts occur